Saturday, September 18, 2004

About Germans

I was talking to a friend of mine over here about the differences in cultures especially Germans and Americans (having worked with them for all of 90 days each, that makes me an expert). Initially when I came in here, I was apprehensive having heard that Germans are not really as friendly set of people as the Americans are. I think it is true. In fact I had even written about this to my friends in India. But then after these 3 months, I am thinking they are just a misinterpreted set of people.

I think one major difference is that Germans will not be polite for the sake of being polite. If they think you are incompetent, they will tell you just that. The Americans on the other hand would go to your manager and tell him/her that you are incompetent while talking like to you as your best buddy. Both ways work. Though the Americans make you feel comfortable very quickly I could almost say that their behavior borders on being hypocritical. Yes, there are times when you think...hey that was harsh. But that is what you get!!

To be fair to the Americans, they are under the most scrutiny from the world as a country which makes their actions even more exaggerated. But I think in general there are a lot of America haters in the world and that is a completely different post. I wouldn't call myself a major hater of the US (being a very strong consumer of all American brands) but I could say that I am not in agreement with several of the activities from the US especially their foreign policy actions

At the end of this post, it seems to be a little patronising. I think I should leave it at the fact that the cultural differences are quite prominent.

No comments: