Friday, May 06, 2005

Energy

Every time we have been in school or college or in the office, we meet with so many different people. Once in a while, we feel that this person is really good. I have personally felt that about many a person, this person will probably go a long way. I have felt that about a few of my batchmates in IIM Bangalore.

So what are the symptoms of such a person? Is it intelligence? Is it self-confidence? I think it is a combination. Earlier I had this empirical formula:

Intelligence x Hard Work x Luck ~ Success

I had always believed if you are not as intelligent, a lot of hard work and some luck should see you through. But now I feel there is a 4th factor which is probably the most important actually. I call that 'Energy'. I am noticing more and more that it is very clearly people who show a lot of 'energy' in whatever thay are doing that finally end up being the 'success' other people aspire to. These people are usually the center of the conversation in most of the sessions and it is not because of their official position. They would rather do something wrong rather than do nothing at all. Also, they tend to transfer part of the energy to the people around them and galvanize them too.

I started off this post as I was watching a concert that was being shown on TV. To me, that was Energy personified. These rockstars really epitomise energy. It must be really something to galvanize thousands of people to a frenzy.

Well, let me wait a few years to see if my impressions of the folks in my batch were true!!

No comments: