Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Movies & Popcorns

So I am trying to figure out new ways of amusing myself in Munich. So the latest is this English Video library. The movie freak that I am, I have missed out watching English movies here. So now I joined this video library. My first 2 movies have been great.

'The Remains of the Day', a Merchant-Ivory production that won Oscars for Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson is the story of an English butler who believes in the dignity of the position of the butler in a traditional English castle. I thought it was brilliant. The movie is based on the book by the same name written by Kazuo Ishiguro, a Booker prize winner. The complexity of the character was brilliant. He is the person who feels attracted to this Emma Thompson character who joins the household as the housekeeper but just cant get himself to really make the next step of conveying it. He seeks protection in the guise of his butler position and retain the 'dignity' of the position. Brilliant acting!!!

The other movie, yet another Oscar winner was 'The Piano' which earned the Best Actress award for Holly Hunter. Somewhere earlier I had mentioned this movie as one of my favorite soundtracks. It truly is. The music is so haunting. The character of Holly, Ada is this dumb lady whose only connection to the world is the piano. I thought this movie was brilliantly directed using the power of silence. I believe it is so much easier to tell a tale through words or visuals. But when you have no words and only the power of expression to tell the tale, that is so powerful and obviously you need a powerful performer to deliver the goods. This movie, I had viewed years ago. But even back then, I felt that this movie was brilliant.

Sometimes, a good movie really makes your day!! But a good movie is as rare as......(well I didn't get a good analogy to go with it...but I guess you get the drift...)

No comments: