Sunday, July 30, 2006

Thinking Language

Does the language that you think in make a difference in the way you talk/relate to people? You may have grown up thinking in your mother tongue. All your growing years, that is probably the language that you have grown with. That is the language you argued with your friends.

So it is quite possible that when you are emotional about a topic, you might want to shift to the language that you think in if you want to be more effective. Of course, if that language is English or Hindi, you probably can articulate better since the no of ppl around understanding these languages are larger.

As I have been called a misplaced displaced tam more times than I can remember, I have never been natural either in Tamil or Malayalam being a Tam in Kerala. The language I have been most comfortable therefore is English and that has become the language that I think in.

So if I were to argue with someone in anger, I would probably be more effective doing it in English. Lucky me!!

Disclaimer: This is a totally empirical hypothesis backed by no scientific thought what so ever....

No comments: