Thursday, October 12, 2006

I have this business.....

It's always an experience to meet new people. You always get something new from people...but then ever so in a while, you get these googlies...

When in the US a few years back, I used to get accosted by desis on the street. They would make very polite conversation for a few minutes, boost my ego to the stratosphere (lots of energy, charisma..blah blah) and then the innocous remark...

'I have this business activity that I am involved in addition to my job. I have become pretty successful and I am looking for spreading this amongst more people.'..the first time I got conned into thinking this was something interesting. After a couple of meetings is when the dreaded word 'Amway'(now known as Quixstar in the US) comes out..

The thing about it is all these folks who do this business are trained in exactly the same manner. By now, probably everyone has been approached at least once. Get it guys, you are either interested the first time or never.

In the last 2 weeks, I have been approached by 2 people. I didnt know this was catching up so much in India. By now, I have become so used to the drill that when they use the word 'part time and business proposition' together, I ask them directly 'Is it Amway?'...unlucky that I couldn't see the expression on the face through the phone.I was almost rude to these guys...

But I guess, the one thing, the company needs to realize is,they are not going to score brownie points by doing what I can only term 'an attempt at deception'.
Guys, get a life!!! Don't trouble me with your fake attempt at polite talk!!

No comments: