Monday, May 08, 2006

A time to reflect

As of yesterday I have completed 4 years in office (hmm...as I start this, it almost seems like I am writing a note for the US president..)..well..I digress...

I have completed 4 years in office in the same company and the questions are so much more frequent. How can you stay in the same firm given the market scenario? Most of my batchmates have shifted at least once.

(at this point, I will mention that I have seen quite a number of people in my company who have stayed for much longer)

I was wondering what would be the factors to make a person stay for long or at least in my case what were the factors?

I guess the following have contributed:
1. The variety of roles that I have got involved in the company including onsite stints
2. The value that most of my managers have given to the work I have done or what I call 'personal brand equity'(an ego trip essentially :))
3. The general DNA of the organization - for eg, I believe my company has a fairly high quotient of work/life balance and it is upto the individual to do what he/she wants

But then there is the other side always gnawing:
1. Are you missing out something on the outside?
2. Are you becoming too comfortable within the familiarities of the company?
3. Are you still managing to learn something every other day?
4. What does the future hold in this company?

It's an answer that I dont have yet...

No comments: