Sunday, March 19, 2006

Speak Up, Barkha

I always try to stay away from posts on religion given the complexity of the topic and the kind of passion it evokes in people in India irrespective of sex, class, creed, education or income levels. But I thought this column by Barkha Dutt of NDTV was very well written. She does touch a nerve here and it is great to know that Indians are starting to talk in the open about taboo topics.

Over the past few years, I personally have seen people's attitudes change especially the tolerance we Indians keep harping on. I haven't stayed in any place where there has been an 'in your face' depiction of religion. In fact, I still believe Kerala, where I come from, has probably the best mix of all 3 major religions in the country with minimal issues. But even there, I am seeing more strong opinions coming out about specific communities even from my well educated friends which is a little disappointing.

But I also understand this is not a simple issue with a simple answer and hence I will leave it at that.....

No comments: