Tuesday, January 02, 2007

No..not a retrospect on 2006

IBNLive Sagarika Ghose's Blog calls it a new baby....Count on her to hyperbole it by a notch. While it is indeed good to see a lot of citizen activism, I think this lady takes too much credit for doing it. I think we did have some good things going on the last year. The most important of them, to me, would be the Right To Information act being actually used by quite a few folks....a lot of factors, not just CNN-IBN... (but to their credit, they have managed to create a mark in their short lifespan....)

While this all augurs well and it is great to be all happy and gay, I just hope the Indian media does not become the trash that American media has become...(and I am afraid that's where we are heading).

As I have observed in many of my previous posts, we are all happy about all the good things happening and are generally optimistic....and I know it is inevitable but it would be sad to see us all aping the American way of doing things and 50-60 years down the line, the next generation starts thinking about the 'good old days'.....

On a completely different note, her imagery of a new baby brings to my mind Rushdie's 'Midnight Children'. The first time, it happened when India was being born....Now are we looking at the next generation of Midnight Children? I have no idea when they were born or whether they are yet to arrive....but definitely something significant is happening around us......and it is indeed a fortunate yet challenging time for us to be in India when this transformation is happening around us....

No comments: