Monday, April 11, 2005

Development at a cost

Yesterday was talking to my sister who has just gone to Kerala to my home town travelling from Mumbai. Supposedly nothing much has changed over there. Karunakaran and Muralidharan are still making a joke of governance over there. The communists are still a major force.

Over the past few years, my visits back to home have reduced so much. But every time, I start to think, when will these guys realize so much more is happening outside? I mean everything remains almost exactly the same everytime I go back.

Anyway, (putting down my nostalgia cap) my sis was saying that she likes it that way that nothing much really happens. The reason "Bombay is cool..lots of things happening always...but when I come home, I want to savour the true 'Keralaness' of the place..and dont want to see another Mumbai with the same sort of restaurants, malls and the like"

Maybe that is what places like Kerala should capitalize on. Develop keeping in mind the true 'character' of the place unlike in places like Bangalore where there is no longer a real 'character'. I think Europe does that quite well. Most of Europe (at least based on the places I have been to) is a tourist haven but things have been done up well enough to maintain and retain what is truly characteristic of the place.
In this article in Indian Express the author, a Pakistani, recounts how it was different in Kochi than in Bangalore.

No comments: