Sunday, April 03, 2005

Passing Away of a Figurehead

As the news of the passing away of the Pope came out, the reactions have been profound and varied. To me, that shows the power of the Catholic Church and the significance it holds for millions of people in the world. I dont think there is another more powerful figurehead who can unite people from all around the world.

I have always felt that the Church is probably one of the truly global organizations in the world (not in any negative sense). In Kerala, where I come from, there are a large number of Christians. The Church plays an important role in their lives like for the millions of Christians around the world. But I am amazed at how a message from the Vatican percolates to even the small churches in the countrysides in Kerala such as a call for donations to a world cause.

If you compare the Church to a corporate organization, it shows how 'systems' and 'processes' are important in managing a global organization. I dont mean any of this in a condescending manner, but I think there are corporate lessons to be learnt in understanding how this system works.

1 comment:

Kaps said...

Don't put too much management funda into the Pope's death. BTW the Vatican used SMS and other modern communication to inform the people about the Pope's death.